[Lexicog] one practical question re. weak verbs

List Facilitator lexicography2004 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 16 01:30:47 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Roberts" <dr_john_roberts at sil.org>
To: <lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 2:26 PM
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] one practical question re. weak verbs

Ron,

Note that Collins COBUILD has

fro /see/ to and fro

while Chambers has 'to and fro' as a subentry under the preposition 'to',
with no entry for 'fro' (at least not the 'fro' in 'to and fro').

Your recommendation to give definitions, usage etc. in every place an item
from a compound or phrase occurs is only practical where there are a few
instances. If you have a language with hundreds of compounds or phrases
based on a single weak verb, for example, and you gave definitions, usage
etc. under subentries, you would end up with a very large complex entry - a
dictionary within a dictionary. This might be more difficult to negotiate
than just referring the user to the main entry where the compound or phrase
is listed according to the first item. In practise you are only giving the
user one more search to do.

John