[Lexicog] Checking with speakers (was RE: Lakhota dictionary database)

List Facilitator lexicography2004 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 16 01:34:11 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Susan Gehr" <vurayav at hotmail.com>
To: <lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 10:02 AM
Subject: [Lexicog] Checking with speakers (was RE: Lakhota dictionary
database)

> Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 21:19:11 +0100
>  From: "Jan Ullrich" <jfu at centrum.cz>
> Subject: RE: Lakhota dictionary database
>
> Wayne
>
> The largest portion of the database originates in Buechel's and Riggs'
> dictionaries and those are not very reliable for part of speech analysis.
So
> I am still in the process of adding and correcting the information in the
ps
> fields,
..
> I have spent several years building the database up, phonemicizing and
> correcting Buechel's data, and comparing it with other sources. I am
hoping
> that I will soon have time to work on other fields of database.
>
> The most surprising fact that I found so far is that the major part of
> Buechel's Lakhota dictionary originates in Riggs' Dakhota dictionary.
> In the early 90s I went through many entries in Buechel with speakers and
> they often didn't recognize the lexemes. At first I thought that maybe
part
> of the Buechel lexicon is already archaic or that my speakers weren't
fluent
> enough in the language.

Hi,

I'm working on a dictionary for the Karuk language, spoken in Northern
California.  We're digitizing previous work, including Bright's 1957 work
and Harrington's extensive notes.  This is my first dictionary project.

When checking with speakers, what sorts of questions do you ask?  What is it
that you are seeking to check?

And more generally, could the list suggest books, online courses or
conferences where I could learn more about lexicography?

Thanks,
--
Susan Gehr
Karuk Language Program Director