[Lexicog] part of speech for phrases

Chinedu Uchechukwu neduchi at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 19 14:03:16 UTC 2004

Ron,John and Rhodes,
I found your discussion has been very interesting, as it touches on
some of the issues that I am presently preoccupied with.
Ron initially pointed out the dictionary features that might be
connected with the typology of a particular language, and connected
it to the question: root or stem in dictionary organization.
POSSIBLE SOLUTION:
In the dictionaries of my native language Igbo (a tone language,
spoken in South Eastern Nigeria)two solutions have been profered:

ROOT ORGANIZATION
The first was root organization, and for the following reason:
(1) The language has only two vowels to distinguish between the
infinitives. This would mean organizing the whole verbs of the
language under two initial alphabets ("i" and "!")
(2) The infinitive forms can constitute a problem to the learner, as
they ALTER the tone of the root, which is needed to classify the
verb. For example -rí (eat), is a high tone verb, but with the
infinitve marker 'i', it becomes írí (to eat). The infinitive marker
has a high tone and the root tone is lowered to a downstep, although
the root has maintains a high tone in all its inflectional forms.

So to maintain the inherent tone of the verb a root organization was
prefered.

IMPERATIVE FORM ORGANIZATION
THis method was adopted by Echeruo in his Igbo-English dictionary. It
has been found quite confusing, and not as much helpful as the root
organization.

A possible solution that I see can more readily be realized through
an electronic dictionarry than a print dictionary. This solution is
first of all directed at the learner of the language. This means
making the verbal inflection and tonal variations part of the sub-
entries to a head word.

It is of course an entirely different issues to realize such a
dictionary in a book form.

Chinedu Uchechukwu
Otto-Friedrich University, Bamberg
Germany.

--- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, "John Roberts"
<dr_john_roberts at s...> wrote:
> Ron Moe said:
>
> > What I've been hoping for is a set of criteria for
subcategorizing various

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/HKE4lB/TM