[Lexicog] part of speech for phrases

Chinedu Uchechukwu neduchi at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 19 14:57:36 UTC 2004

ROn,
The development in ENglish lexicography might be of interest. The
OXFORD publishers have recently come out with an "Oxford Collocations
Dictionary for Students of English". Some of the examples given by
John do fall within this group, though not all. But the fact of
making a dictionary specifically for this constructions points to not
only the difficulty it constitutes for the language learner, but also
to the need for one to also think of the collocational patterns of
words, and their lexicographic relevance.

One can for example have a lexical entry, with its additional
collocational derivatives as multi-word sub-entries. But in a
language like Igbo, the collocational derivatives would simply mean
additional verbs, which would need their own full entries. However,
in terms of idiomatic multi-word expressions "Phr." or also "idiom"
or "prov" (for proverb) can apply.

So for Igbo "Verb + Noun = Verb" would pass for the mean entries,
while this would mean a phrasal verb in English or German; while
multi-word expressions would range between "idioms, proverbs and so
on." But they would all have the same or similar structure of
"verb + noun = verb  +(additional lexical items).

Chinedu Uchechukwu
Otto-Friedrich University, Bamberg
Germany.

--- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, "John Roberts"
<dr_john_roberts at s...> wrote:
> Ron Moe said:
>
> > What I've been hoping for is a set of criteria for
subcategorizing various

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/HKE4lB/TM