[Lexicog] part of speech for phrases

Koontz John E john.koontz at COLORADO.EDU
Tue Jan 20 03:39:05 UTC 2004

Correction and clarification

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004, Koontz John E wrote:
> I have to confess that I have never elicited the possessive paradigm of
> we'base, so I don't know whether it is more natural to say we'ppase for
> 'my saw' or we'ppase wiwitta.

We'ppase is the first person of the verb we'base.  Change
we'ppase wiwitta to we'base wiwi'tta 'my saw', wiwitta 'my'.

> However, I do specifically recall that Lipkind's Winnebago grammar
> indicates that use of the verbal first person is correct with Winnebago
> hoc^i' 'house; to live there', i.e., waac^i' 'my house; I live there',
> not hoc^i'=haniN.  However, it is c^ii' 'live; house' and c^ii'=haniN
> 'my house'.

Waac^i' is the first person of hoc^i'.  Also, I believe that is haaniN' 'I
have', the first person of haniN' 'to have' - the normal possessive
construction with inanimate nouns in Winnebago is to append the properly
inflected form of 'to have'.  Lipkind doesn't indicate vowel length
consistently.

JEK

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/HKE4lB/TM