[Lexicog] Re: Citation forms in Prefixing Languages

Conor McDonough Quinn quinn at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Tue Jan 20 19:16:16 UTC 2004

Dia dhaoibh, a chairde!

> Allan Taylor expatiated some on this subject to me as I was helping with
> the computer side of his Gros Ventre (White Clay People) dictionary - how
> it might be easier to see the form of the stem if it were presented in an
> underlying form with no inflectional affixes, but how, equally, this
> presented almost insuperable problems for non-technical users.
One possible presentational solution is to bury the abstract stem in a
reasonably obscure corner of the main entry---where technical users can
find it readily, but also where it doesn't interfere with non-technical
users' use of the same entry.  Even better, one can simply format the stem
elements into a separate appendix/index that nobody but us linguists ever
has to look at---though it'd be a polite thing to do to post a short,
non-technical explanation for what said appendix is on its first page, so
that non-technical users can decide for themselves what they want to do
with it when/if they come across it.

Sla/n,
bhur gcara

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511