[Lexicog] Kweyol dictionary: Why popular? How user-friendly?

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Fri Jan 23 04:53:22 UTC 2004

To: David Frank

I've just been reading newspaper articles on the popularity of the new
Kweyol dictionary. I understand that the price of $10 in contrast to the
earlier dictionary's price of $400 would be one reason why the new
dictionary would sell better. But I assume that there might be features of
the new dictionary which attract Kweyol speakers. Would you be willing to
describe here on the list what you think are some of the reasons why Kweyol
speakers have appreciated the new dictionary? (Are they actually reading the
book or just buying it as a collector's item and affirmation of Kweyol
identity?) What kinds of data appear in each dictionary entry? How
user-friendly did you try to make the dictionary?

I'm asking these questions because I mull over the same questions as our
Cheyenne team continues work on a new, "exhaustive" dictionary. And I
suspect others on this list might have similar questions about how to make
a dictionary as user-friendly as possible, and, ideally, a popular selling
item.

Thanks,
Wayne
-----