[Lexicog] Kweyol dictionary: Why popular? How user-friendly?

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Fri Jan 23 19:35:08 UTC 2004

David Frank wrote:
> I got about 20 copies of the dictionary when it first came out and
> have given most of them away and haven't been able to get resupplied
> since then. I regret that I haven't been able to send copies to
> journals for review, such as the Journal of Pidgin and Creole
> Languages, nor make the dictionary available to linguists.

Perhaps the best way to make it available to linguists would be in
electronic form, assuming you can port your database over to something like
XML.  And if you wrote it in Pascal, I would imagine outputting XML would be
simple!

You could certainly email people copies, but it would be best if some sort
of archival storage/distribution were available, or at least a distribution
site such as a university or other long-term organization.  I know
SIL-Mexico does some of that, but I'm not sure about other SIL areas.  The
LDC has also committed to publishing some lexicons of minority languages,
although I can't say we're trying to get into the business of doing that.
(We _might_, however, be approachable if someone had a good-sized lexicon
plus audio and/or video "texts" with morphologically analyzed
transcriptions.)

    Mike Maxwell
    LDC
    maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu