[Lexicog] bilingual dictionaries

Lou Hohulin lou_hohulin at SIL.ORG
Sun Jan 25 22:46:11 UTC 2004

Hi Mery,

How have you defined your thesis problem? We can be of more help to you if we understand more of the scope of your thesis. Those of us on the discussion list are a varied group, and your mailbox may quickly overflow with messages that have little relevance to what you are trying to do if we don't know your focus.

Mike Maxwell has made some very good comments about the differences between bilingual dictionaries of highly documented languages and those of languages that have been largely undocumented. Although some lexicographic principles are general and appropriate for any type of dictionary, many functional principles are specific to the languages involved, the purpose of the dictionary, the audience, etc. Most of our problems in developing quality dictionaries are rooted in the specifics of the two languages and the purpose for compiling the dictionary.

Best,
Lou Hohulin
SIL - Dallas and Philippines

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511