[Lexicog] indigenous lexical relations

William Poser billposer at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 26 05:49:33 UTC 2004

> This reminds me, there is a very extensive literature (which I claim no
> familiarity with) on ethnobotany, kinship systems, and other ethnic
> classification systems.

I can recommend a couple of books:

Berlin, Brent 1992
Ethnobiological Classification: Principles of Categorization of Plants
and Animals in Traditional Societies
Princeton: Princeton University Press
ISBN:0-691-09469-1

Aikhenvald, Alexandra 2000
Classifiers: A Typology of Noun Categorization Devices
Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Berlin's book is fascinating and also has a lot of lovely
illustrations drawn by one of his Tzotzil colleagues.
As far as I know, it hasn't been superseded as a comprehensive
review of this area. Aikhenvald's book focusses on the linguistic
side of noun classification, but is the most comprehensive
survey of which I am aware.

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: