[Lexicog] Shoebox blank fields: Can I find them?

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Thu Jan 29 21:03:11 UTC 2004

Sort on the field in question. All the empty fields will be at the top in
browse view.

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: Wayne Leman [mailto:wayne_leman at sil.org]
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2004 1:33 PM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Lexicog] Shoebox blank fields: Can I find them?

Sometimes when I am working with a mother tongue speaker using Shoebox, I
get data so quickly that I am not able to keyboard much more than the word I
have heard. Other fields have to be left blank until later, such as fields
for the gloss, example sentence(s), etc.

I know how to make filters to extract various kinds of data from my Shoebox
database, such as filters to find words for all the animals, all
intransitive verbs, all prefixes, etc.). But I do not know how to locate (by
Shoebox search or filter) all instances of a blank field, for example, all
blank gloss fields. Do any of you know if I can do such a search within
Shoebox? (If so, how?) Of course, I can examine my 9 MB Shoebox database
with Microsoft Word and search for blank fields, but it would be easier if I
could stay within Shoebox--for one thing, Shoebox works very quickly within
RAM memory of my computer, while MS Word slows way down with large databases
(I have a fast CPU, 784 MB of Ram.

Thanks,
Wayne
-----