[Lexicog] Shoebox blank fields: Can I find them?

Neal_Brinneman at SIL.ORG Neal_Brinneman at SIL.ORG
Thu Jan 29 22:16:53 UTC 2004

Dear Wayne,
You can sort on the field where you want to work and all the records
without a field are first and then all the records with the field that is
empty come next and then all the records after that are in alphabetical
order. You just start at the top on the first record and fill it in and
when you go to the next record, that record will go to its place in the
alphabet according to what was typed in it. When you reach the first field
with data, you have finished filling in the data.
I can make you a filter using not and a variable standing for a character
in the field, but the sort is the easiest way to work with it.
Neal

                      "Wayne Leman"
                      <wayne_leman at sil.        To:       <lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com>
                      org>                     cc:
                                               Subject:  [Lexicog]  Shoebox blank fields: Can I find them?
                      01/29/2004 03:33
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      lexicographylist

Sometimes when I am working with a mother tongue speaker using Shoebox, I
get data so quickly that I am not able to keyboard much more than the word
have heard. Other fields have to be left blank until later, such as fields
for the gloss, example sentence(s), etc.

I know how to make filters to extract various kinds of data from my Shoebox
database, such as filters to find words for all the animals, all
intransitive verbs, all prefixes, etc.). But I do not know how to locate
(by
Shoebox search or filter) all instances of a blank field, for example, all
blank gloss fields. Do any of you know if I can do such a search within
Shoebox? (If so, how?) Of course, I can examine my 9 MB Shoebox database
with Microsoft Word and search for blank fields, but it would be easier if
could stay within Shoebox--for one thing, Shoebox works very quickly within
RAM memory of my computer, while MS Word slows way down with large
databases
(I have a fast CPU, 784 MB of Ram.

Thanks,
Wayne