[Lexicog] Hamito Semitic languages

daved_89793 daved_89793 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jul 11 17:08:57 UTC 2004

I have studied 5 types of changes which occur internally (I
have not studied sociological changes myself).

I would like to call the development of Romance languages as caused
by language spread, because that is in fact what happened.

Genetic relatedness is supposed to refer to a condition of the
languages themselves, but it is a mistake to take such a view; this
will be clear in careful study of Thomasons work on contact. Genetic
relatedness can not be said to be a factor when entire languages are
adopted by foreign societies. Because that is misleading, just as it
would be wrong to say that a borrowed word is genetically related to
its source; it is a borrowed word.

In my studies in Hamito Semitic languages there is a substratum of
Semitic (throughout Hamitic), that relates to changes in phonology
that were due to Greek influence and later Latin influence, I can
even differentiate the times of influence, relative. And the
substratum is basic Hebrew which was revived from being a dead
language, so effectively all of those basic forms were borrowed from
texts. This is not taught.

Ruhlen's work shows evidence of language spread, but he also has
called it genetic relations. Perhaps his work is rejected because
intuitively we know they could not be genetic relations.

In any case 'language spread' is the most important term; it is the
phenomenon of mass diffusion of the four major substructures of
language: morphology, syntax, lexicon, and phonology. It is the
phenomenon of borrowing on a massive scale through language contact
situations. That is the definition of this most important term.
(Call it a compound verb if you wish).

Dave

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM