[Lexicog] small - big, cool - hot

David Foris david_foris at WYCLIFFE.ORG
Mon Jul 12 02:05:12 UTC 2004

Hi Fritz,

I worked with a native speaker of Sochiapan Chinantec (Mexico) on these phrases.  Some would have only transferred over by means of an explanatory paragraph, so I omitted those.  I used the Doulos SIL (Unicode) font, so hope it is readable.

David Foris

In brackets are the literal and semi-literal translations of Chinantec phrases into English.

big baby                 dáɨn² pan¹ (baby big)

big boy (a grown-up man who behaves like a big boy)      ?

big man (in politics)   yeh³ (i.e. a man with influence/status)

big idea                  hi³ quien² hi³ cháunh² chi¹ tsú² (thing important that arrives head people)

big deal (used sarcastically)   ?

small house              hñú³ pih²¹ (house small)

small business           hñú³ pih²¹ ñí¹ hna² tsú² (house small where sell people)

small minded            tiá² hliáun³ cháunh² chi¹ tsú² (not many-things arrives head people)

small change            cú¹dáɨn³ juoh¹ (red-money pieces)

small beer (a trivial matter)   hi³ pih²¹ hi³ siun¹ (thing small thing little)

cool drink                jmɨ́² cuóuh³ (water cold, i.e. no simple adjective for ‘cool’)

cool reception           ?

cool idea                 ?

hot drink                 jmɨ́² chaú³ (water warm)

hot day                   jmáɨ¹ chéi³ hiú² (day sun hot)

hot pepper               hën² chéi³ (chilli hot)

hot reception            ?

hot favourite             hi³ jlánh¹ zaɨn³² tsú² (thing much likes s/he)

I'd be interested in knowing how the following are translated
into other languages:

big baby
big boy (a grown-up man who behaves like a big boy)
big man (in politics)
big idea
big deal (used sarcastically)

small house