[Lexicog] small - big, cool - hot

margarita-c margarita-c at NETCABO.PT
Mon Jul 12 16:19:11 UTC 2004

Dear Fritz,
I had literally translated  "small change" (it did not call my attention that it was a fixed expression). In the sense of "trocado" (BP), we would say "troco" ou "trocos" (it depends on the context).

Best regards,

Margarita

	-----Mensagem original-----
	De: Fritz Goerling [mailto:Fritz_Goerling at sil.org]
	Enviada: seg 12-07-2004 17:02
	Para: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
	Assunto: RE: [Lexicog] small - big, cool - hot

	Thank you, Margarita,

	Here are Brazilian Portuguese equivalents which I just collected from a Brazilian (written in Caps),

	Fritz Goerling

		These are possible translations in European Portuguese:

		big baby - bebé grande  - BEBE GRANDE
		big boy (a grown-up man who behaves like a big boy) - ?  MENINAO
		big man (in politics) - grande homem  - GRANDE HOMEM
		big idea - grande ideia  - GRANDE IDEIA
		big deal (used sarcastically) - grande coisa!  - GRANDE COISA!

		small house - casa pequena  - CASA PEQUENA
		small business - pequeno negócio  PEQUENO NEGOCIO
		small minded - cabeçudo, picuinhas, de ideias fixas  - MENTE LIMITADA
		small change - pequena mudança  - TROCADO
		small beer (a trivial matter) - ? (We may of course express this idea
		but I can't find a fixed
		expression)  COISA PEQUENA

		cool drink - bebida fresca  - BEBIDA GELADA
		cool reception - fria recepção  - RECEPCAO FRIA
		cool idea - grande / boa ideia  - GRANDE / BOA IDEIA

		hot drink - bebida quente  - BEBIDA QUENTE
		hot day - dia quente  - DIA QUENTE
		hot pepper - pimenta forte  - PIMENTA  FORTE
		hot reception - recepção calorosa  - RECEPCAO CALOROSA
		hot favourite - (principal) favorito  - GRANDE FAVOROITO

		Margarita Correia

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129usn3th/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1709195911:HM/EXP=1089734828/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>
 <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=111341180>

  _____

		Yahoo! Groups Links

		*	To visit your group on the web, go to:

		*	To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM