[Lexicog] "in" words

Chaz and Helga Mortensen chaz_mortensen at SIL.ORG
Fri Jul 23 18:42:30 UTC 2004

I will give my opinion on some of these new meanings. I don't say "new
words" because all of these words are very old.

> cool - CM: this replaced "swell" in the 60s and "neat" in the 70s. "Hot"
has replaced "cool" now. "Hot" used to mean "hot to trot" but now the common
meaning is "good-looking". One major car manufacturer attempted to market a
certain model by calling it "hot". However, it was a no-frills station
wagon, not a sports car.

> bad - CM: not nearly as popular an expression as in the 80s.

> rad - CM: I remember this starting in the mid-80s. It didn't manage to
replace "cool". I haven't heard anyone say this in a long time.

> wicked - CM: I first heard this when I spent a summer in New England,
1983. It is known more in other areas now but not that common.

> awesome - CM: We first started talking like this in junior high school,
mid-70s. Its use seemed to peak in the late 80s.

> CM: excellent - We used this to mean "cool" ("hot" or "dude" today). It
was common in the late 70s but did not survive as a superlative.

-Chaz

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM