[Lexicog] When is an "in" word """in"""?

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Fri Jul 23 18:52:39 UTC 2004

Fritz Goerling wrote:
> Do you have other examples and explanations from English
> (all varieties) and other languages?

I'm trying very hard to promote the use of 'warm' to mean 'cool, neat,
nifty'.  But my teen-age daughter tells me I'm not succeeding.  (Of
course, she doesn't know what 'neat' or 'nifty' mean.)

All seriousness aside, it reminds me of a question I once got in a
church seeting from an older lady.  (Well, she was older at the time.
But I've aged since then, and she might qualify as 'young' now...
That's another way language changes :-).)  Anyway, she wanted to know if
'tribespeople' (my term, there's another change) used "slang."  I had a
hard time answering the question, as I'm not sure I know what slang
is--at least not cross-linguistically.

	Mike Maxwell

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM