[Lexicog] When is an "in" word """in"""?

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Fri Jul 23 20:59:59 UTC 2004

  Fritz Goerling wrote:
  > Do you have other examples and explanations from English
  > (all varieties) and other languages?

  Mike Maxwell replied:

  I'm trying very hard to promote the use of 'warm' to mean 'cool, neat,
  nifty'.  But my teen-age daughter tells me I'm not succeeding.  (Of
  course, she doesn't know what 'neat' or 'nifty' mean.)

  FG:
    Are you saying that tongue-in-cheek?
      Wouldn't "hot" stand a better chance than "warm" in replacing "cool"
in English?
      Works in German for: "ein heisser Schlitten" = a hot sportscar (a
nifty, cool, neat
      sportscar)

---