[Lexicog] When is an "in" word """in"""?

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Sat Jul 24 08:06:02 UTC 2004

No sweat, Peter, you got it sussed!

I found it "cool" when Manchester United beat my home town soccer club
Bayern Munich
by 2 to 1 after the Germans led them by one goal before the last minute of
the game,
and then MU equalized and scored the winning goal a few seconds later. I did
not like it
but had to admit that that was "cool" or "eiskalt" (= ice-cold), as we say
in German. It
comes close to "merciless" and is said of a "professional" who wins.
Another example is how Lance Armstrong is winning this year's Tour de
France:
eiskalt, cool, merciless.

Fritz Goerling

>Sorry, I don't think "warm" has a chance. It's not cool to be warm-hearted,
>or have a warm smile. "Cool" implies, I think, an emotional distancing and
>probably lack of vulnerability, and personal power.

I have always understood "cool" as linked to and implying "no sweat",
something good which can be attained without great effort - a concept
which obviously didn't arise here in Britain except on a rare hot day
like today.

--
Peter Kirk
peter at qaya.org (personal)