[Lexicog] Re: languages represented on this list

d_z_o d_z_o at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jul 31 09:06:41 UTC 2004

Greetings!  I have just joined the list and look forward to learning
from the work various members are doing.

I worked on a lexical compilation for Malian Fulfulde (Maasinankoore)
a number of years ago.* Currently I'm discussing how this can be put
online.

I also put a version of a Zarma-English-French lexicon online at
http://www.bisharat.net/Zarma/ (this is not my lexical work, just
something I formatted at a time that there was not yet any Zarma
vocabulary online).

Currently I'm hoping to put together Bambara <-> Chinese wordlists or
a small lexicon, something I experimented a bit with a few years ago
but did not have time, means, or sufficient knowledge of Chinese to
follow through with. Now I think I have enough to get a basic project
launched and completed (with some collaboration).

I'd be very interested to know whether anyone is working on any
Chinese <-> African language reference materials or knows of anyone
else who is.

Another area of interest is linking simple machine translators to an
online "living" monolingual dictionary. The idea would be to permit
work to proceed on a language like Pulaar/Fulfulde without reference
to meanings in another language like English or French (or Chinese)
but to facilitate access to the material by non-speakers and
learners. The thought is that machine translation could be accurate
in the (ideally) regular and circumscribed environment of dictionary
glosses.

FInally, I've been interested in African languages and ICT since
working on the Fulfulde lexicon and, since my field is actually rural
development, set up in 2000 the Bisharat initiative to facilitate
African language use with ICTs, esp. in the context of ICT for
development - see http://www.bisharat.net

Don Osborn

* Osborn, Donald, David J. Dwyer, and Joseph I. Donohoe, Jr. 1993. A
Fulfulde (Maasina)-English-French Lexicon: A Root-Based Compilation
Drawn from Extant Sources Followed by English-Fulfulde and French-
Fulfulde Listings. East Lansing: Michigan State University Press.

--- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, "lexicography2004"

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM