[Lexicog] polysynthetic languages and dictionaries

Kenneth C. Hill kennethchill at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 1 20:43:50 UTC 2004

Thanks for this information. My impression of Athabascan languages not
being incorporating comes from a now long-ago course I took with Harry
Hoijer in which we studied Navajo verb morphology. There were a lot of
prefixes, derivational and inflectional prefixes interdigitated in a
mind-bending sort of way and also aspectual suffixes after the verb root,
but I didn't remember the possibility of incorporating an open set of
lexical nouns into the verb as is possible in Uto-Aztecan languages such
as Nahuatl and Hopi.

Hopi, by the way, as enthusiastically incorporating as it is, is not a
properly polysynthetic language in that there are no subject/object person
markers.

--Ken

http://messenger.yahoo.com/

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM