[Lexicog] polysynthetic languages and dictionaries

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Tue Jun 1 22:16:18 UTC 2004

Thanks, Melissa, for this post. I was beginning to think that my longtime
understanding of polysynthesis was incorrect. In layman (or Leman, if one
prefers!!) terms, I just thought polysynthesis referred to languages that
have "long" words typically made up of many morphemes. My understanding
might be a bit too simplistic, but I didn't think it was necessary to have
specific categories of derivation, for instance, incorporation, before a
language would be considered polysythetic. I suspect that this is a case of
a linguistic term taking on a narrower semantic focus within a specific
linguistic framework. If this is true, then this topic thread not only
remains on topic because several of us on this discussion list struggle with
issues of lexicography of polysynthetic languages, but the term itself is
illustrative of a semantic/lexicographic process of narrowing, in certain
sociolinguistic contexts.

Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman