[Lexicog] polysynthetic languages and dictionaries

phil cash cash pasxapu at DAKOTACOM.NET
Wed Jun 2 16:51:05 UTC 2004

Thanks Bill, i can appreciate the complexity of your (and others) task.
  i too would like to address this problem someday soon and model nez
perce verb morphology, but life is just too short and our languages are
disappearing faster than i can compute.  still, i have a difficult time
getting past the risk we take by substituting analysis and calculation
(assumption: computers are faster than human thinkers) for
understanding and meaning.  this is a programmers dilema being
unnecessarily transferred to the the language learner.  which is
probably why i don't think it is as transparent or as desirable for the
typical language learner (mostly second language learners).  compound
this with the fact that dictionaries by design have never been
transparent or desirable for indigenous speech communities to begin
with because they are almost always modeled from Indo-European sources.
  i tend to think that polysynthesis is still too radical for current
linguistic theory and even more so for dictionary makers.  but after
reading your reply i think electronic dict makers are definitely a step
ahead of most people and this is why it intrigues me so.

it looks like /ya/ is contrastive on a number of levels syntactic,
phonological, etc.  this contrast is to the language learners advantage
and should be built into the system of access strategies and not be
just another computational algorithm.  but i'm sure you must have
thought of this already.

living breathing polysynthesis,
phil cash cash (cayuse/nez perce)
UofA