[Lexicog] Polysemy tests

Kevin Parent ksparent at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 22 00:13:19 UTC 2004

Hi all.

I'm looking for some linguistic tests to determine whether Word
X is a polyseme or a homophone. I know of several tests by
Cruse, who distances himself from the distinction, to test if a
word has multiple senses/is ambiguous, but I know of none that
identifies the word as one or the other. Any attempts I've made
to construct some end up only working for one word.

I know that polysemy is very ellusive so it would not be
surprising if no test existed, but does anybody know of any
notworthy attempts?

=====
Kevin Parent
Gongju National University of Education, Korea
KOTESOL Membership Chair
http://www.kotesol.org/membership/committee/

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM