[Lexicog] age-related pronunciation differences

Marc Fryd marc.fryd at UNIV-POITIERS.FR
Wed Jun 30 06:51:47 UTC 2004

Well, to some extent, modern French also shows some level of age variation
in the presence (some older speakers) or absence (all younger speakers) of
a distinct phonetic gemination of consonants in words like "illustrer"
('illustrate'). Or again in the retention of a full syllabic value of
<-ci-> = /sij/ (older speakers) in "remercier". This so-called "classical"
pronunciation was indeed the norm in my younger days when reading poetry of
performing plays. Strict observance of this norm now appears to be a thing
of the past, as far as I can judge.
Regards to list members.
Marc

At 18:58 29/06/2004, you wrote:
>How have you been entering pronunciations of words in dictionaries when the
>pronunciations vary by age?
>
>Let me illustrate: the traditional (and still widespread) pronunciation for
>'old woman' in Cheyenne is mâhtamâhaahe where the â indicates a voiceless
>syllable word-initially. Younger speakers do not know about the voiceless
>syllable and pronounce the word without it, as tamâhaahe. Older speakers who
>help check the dictionary will say that the shorter form is incorrect and
>probably would not want it in the Cheyenne dictionary. However, the shorter
>pronunciation is widespread among the youngest speakers.
>
>Thanks,
>Wayne Leman
>Cheyenne dictionary project
>

>Yahoo! Groups Links

Marc Fryd
Université de Poitiers
95 avenue du Recteur Pineau, 86022 Poitiers
Tel:
Work: 33(0)5 49 45 48 11
Cell: 33(0)6 76 28 18 50
E-mail:  Marc.Fryd at univ-poitiers.fr