[Lexicog] phraseology collecting

louis janus janus005 at UMN.EDU
Mon Mar 1 01:39:37 UTC 2004

At 01:40 PM 2/29/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>What topic would you find interesting to discuss now on this Lexicography
>list?

I am somewhat baffled about finding appropriate set phrases for the
learners dictionary of Norwegian I'm writing. I think I can eke out the
basic idioms, but collocations are a real concern. I guess I need to jot
down every potential case of a collocation, then search the corpuses to see
if indeed the words co-occur fairly often. I am not a native Norwegian
speaker, but I have access to several. So one thought I had was to suggest
some common nouns and ask which verbs co-occur, and which adjectives etc.
Does anyone know of particularly helpful software to even suggest possible
collocations?

Thanks

Louis Janus