[Lexicog] phraseology collecting

Neal_Brinneman at SIL.ORG Neal_Brinneman at SIL.ORG
Mon Mar 1 13:04:56 UTC 2004

Dear Louis,
A program called Consistent Changes will go through and replace every other
space with an underscore. You would need two sets of data for this to get
all collocations. eg "The man in the store." becomes "The_man in_the
store." as one example and "The man_in the_store." as another. After making
this set of text with joined words, you then run a wordlist on them with
count and find out the most frequent co-occurances.
Neal

                      louis janus
                      <janus005 at umn.edu        To:       lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
                      >                        cc:
                                               Subject:  [Lexicog]  phraseology collecting
                      02/29/2004 08:39
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      lexicographylist

At 01:40 PM 2/29/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>What topic would you find interesting to discuss now on this Lexicography
>list?

I am somewhat baffled about finding appropriate set phrases for the
learners dictionary of Norwegian I'm writing. I think I can eke out the
basic idioms, but collocations are a real concern. I guess I need to jot
down every potential case of a collocation, then search the corpuses to see

if indeed the words co-occur fairly often. I am not a native Norwegian
speaker, but I have access to several. So one thought I had was to suggest
some common nouns and ask which verbs co-occur, and which adjectives etc.
Does anyone know of particularly helpful software to even suggest possible
collocations?

Thanks

Louis Janus

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511