[Lexicog] msort

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Wed Mar 3 13:00:11 UTC 2004

William J Poser wrote:
> I am the author of msort and can answer Wayne Leman's questions.
> At the moment, there is no DOS or MS Windows version of msort.

It should be possible to build and run it under CygWin (http://cygwin.com/).
CygWin is a unix-like environment that runs under MS Windows, including the
Gnu C compiler, a command line like the (in)famous DOS prompt, etc.

After compiling msort under CygWin, it should run from the Windows command
prompt, so that someone could compile it for the group and distribute it.
(The CygWin python, for example, can run under the Windows command prompt.)

(Bill, I hereby volunteer.  Let me know if I should just pick up the source
from your site, or wait a few days for updates.)

> However, the DOS version lacks some of the nicer, more recent
> features.  More important, it was subject to fairly severe memory
> limitations that made it useless for a lexicon beyond a certain size.

The old DOS in versions of Windows before Windows2000 had that limit.  AFIK,
the modern Windows "command prompt" (which term is used in preference to
"DOS prompt", which it no longer is) does not have any memory limit other
than what Windows itself has (which is larger than msort is likely to care
about).

    Mike Maxwell
    Linguistic Data Consortium
    maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu