[Lexicog] Preparing one's Shoebox dictionary for the publisher?

Chaz and Helga Mortensen chaz_mortensen at SIL.ORG
Fri Mar 5 01:45:54 UTC 2004

Hello, Susan.

The recent editions of Shoebox (I have 4.0) allow one to export the Shoebox
files, which use standard format markers (\lx, \dn, etc.) into a Word
document. Each standard format marker is assigned a style in Word. The
Export option is under File and then it will give you some dialog boxes
where you can choose which fields are exported into the document. You also
choose which national language you will use with the indigenous language. I
am assuming here you are making a bilingual dictionary. The instructions are
pretty straightforward.

Once the document opens in Word you can edit it. When I export mine there
are usually extra carriage returns, spaces and soforth that I delete. You
will probably run into things like that before the document looks like
something you would want to turn in to the printers.

Good luck.

-Chaz Mortensen