[Lexicog] Shoebox filename glitch

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Sat Mar 6 18:02:47 UTC 2004

I am using sound files to accompany my Shoebox database. Shoebox nicely
exports the sound filenames to Microsoft Word where a hyperlink allows one
to click and hear the sound file. However, I have discovered one glitch in
the filenaming system. IF you have a sound filename which ends in a number,
such as one of mine, stars2.wav, indicating a second (alternate)
pronunciation of the Cheyenne word for 'stars,' and if that filename occurs
in the \pl (plural) field, Shoebox interprets the number as a subscript for
export to Word, and no sound file can be heard from that hyperlink in Word.
In most other fields of a Shoebox record a filename such as star2.wav will
be exported properly to a hyperlink in Word.

Is there any work-around for this problem or do I need to rename all my
sound files which end with numbers, to be sure that I will not encounter
this problem of not being able to access the sound file from within Word? I
find it helpful to give numbers to the ends of my soundfile names, since
there are often related words for which numbers are helpful to differentiate
them, for instance, alternate pronunciation, a woman's voice instead of a
man's voice, etc. I can, of course, change to using letters "b," "c," etc.,
at the end of a filename, instead of using numbers, but this can be
confusing since a letter can sometimes look like part of the word (given in
the filename) rather than a means to differentiate related files.

I have more than 7,000 sound files, many of which have numbers, so it is a
fairly big job to rename my files which have numbers in their names, as well
as revise their filenames in the appropriate fields of Shoebox, hoping I
catch all instances of each filename (some filenames are properly entered in
more than one place in my database).

I just experimented to see what would happen with an end-number sound
filename for a \va (variant) field, and the sound file is not exported at
all from a \va field.

Thanks,
Wayne Leman
Cheyenne dictionary project