[Lexicog] Shoebox filename glitch

Conor McDonough Quinn quinn at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Sat Mar 6 20:02:50 UTC 2004

Dia dhuit, a chara!

This is not a solution for your present problem, but perhaps to avoid it
in the future, you can use Roman letters (caps are nice and clear and
distinguishable from the filename):

"shoehorn2.wav"		-->	"shoehornII.wav"

Either that or

"shoehorn-II.wav"

or better

"shoehorn_II.wav"

If you use a distinct enough labeling approach, the filename itself will
have a recognizable substring that identifies that part of the overall
filename string as an "alternate"-indicating number.  This bit of covert
tagging in the filename itself might be additionally useful, when and if
you ever want to single out / search for all the alternate forms.  This is
something a student might want to do---e.g. "Well, I know all the basic
forms, perhaps I should familiarize myself with variants now."

As for your present problem---I imagine a script could replace all the
numbers in string "filname[number].wav" with Roman numerals.  You'd have
to be careful that "shoehorn22.wav" doesn't become "shoehornIIII.wav", but
other than that, it should be pretty straightforward.  Of course, I don't
know how to write scripts, but this is the sort of thing they're for!

Hope this helps!

Sla/n,
do chara

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511