[Lexicog] Shoebox filename glitch

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Sun Mar 7 03:09:36 UTC 2004

> Wayne Leman wrote:
> > Good ideas, but Shoebox seems not to allow non-alphanumeric
> > characters in filenames. I tried the underline, but it gets converted
> > to space in export to MS Word...
>
> Have you looked at the output from Shoebox with a text editor, before Word
> gets a chance to import it?

No, I'm not sure that it is possible to intercept the output before Word
gets it. At least not for the non-programmer.  :-)

>  When you're typing in to Word, and underscore
> toggles italicization.  Conceivably it treats an underscore in an imported
> file the same way.

But it doesn't produce italicization in hyperlink filenames, just a bad
filename. From the behavior of items in the export process, I suspect that
Shoebox has some limitations on hyperlink filenames that may remain from its
earlier days (DOS?). It's still a great program and it does almost
everything I need right now, with excellent use of RAM and very fast saves
and data manipulation. I wish Microsoft programs were so lean and clean!
:-)

> I presume you're exporting your Shoebox file as RTF, then importing it in
> Word.

Yes, that is the process Shoebox uses.

5

> and Word,