[Lexicog] topics for discussion

lexicography2004 lexicography2004 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Mar 7 03:23:35 UTC 2004

I just want to emphasize what has already been on our Lex. list website and
in welcome messsages:

All lexicography topics are welcome on this list, whether they are
"practical" or "theoretical" (and I don't think there is any clear
distinction between the two, nor should there be).

I, for one, found myself engrossed in the discussions which went on recently
here re: whether or not we could draw a "practical" line of distinction
between encyclopedic info. for lexicography and much more limited
"semantic"/"dictionary" info. After 30 years of linguistic work, most of it
with a heavy emphasis in lexicography, I am personally convinced that it is
necessary to know a fair amount of pragmatic and other cultural info about
lexical entries before we can begin to think that we know what lexemes
"mean." What this means for publication of dictionaries for different
audiences is another matter, and one which makes another good topic for this
list.

I happen to use the Shoebox program for my lexical work. It meets my current
needs. Occasionally I run into a problem with Shoebox and appreciate the
help I can get from others on this list. But the fact that there are some
messages about Shoebox by no means should indicate that there is a
preference for list discussions to be about Shoebox. I'm glad that there has
been some posting about other lexicography programs and I hope there will be
more. I would like to learn more about what different programs have to
offer. I would esp. like to learn about programs that map associative
relationships better than do flat file database management programs. I would
like to be able to hit a program key and see a number of important
associative relationships to the current lexeme.

In summary, although it is the nature of discussion lists to go through
cycles of active discussion and less active times, as well as focus on
certain topics at one time and others at other times, it is important that
each list member feel welcome to post whatever is of interest and concern.
We can all learn from each other. If anyone is not interested in a
particular topic, it is easy to hit the Delete key. What is far more
difficult is to find the Generate key on a computer keyboard, so that we
have more messages on a variety of topics, hopefully addressing the
interests of many on this list.

Have a good week,
Wayne Leman
List Facilitator