[Lexicog] circular definitions

Kenneth C. Hill kennethchill at YAHOO.COM
Sun Mar 7 05:51:59 UTC 2004

I find the Wierzbicka standards for definitions inappropriate for the
usual bilingual dictionary. For example, it makes little sense to go much
beyond a definition like "man, adult male, male of the species" in the
English rendering of the Hopi taaqa. One needn't fret about what "man" or
"adult" or "male" etc. mean in English to get the idea across regarding
what Hopi taaqa means. Wierzbicka's concerns have to do with monolingual
definitions. Bilingual dictionaries really don't deal with definitions in
her sense but rather with translations.

--Ken

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511