[Lexicog] sense groupings

Chaz and Helga Mortensen chaz_mortensen at SIL.ORG
Mon Mar 8 17:05:22 UTC 2004

Ken, in my opinion it is the context that is determining the exact meaning. The basic meaning is the same; in other words, you could gloss this word with "skillful" in either context. So I for one would not put them as separate senses.

-Chaz

  I have a question about sense groupings. In the following example, my national colleague and I have a disagreement over whether different spheres/semantic domains in which a word is used constitute separate sense groups.  What do you all think about it? Is it one sense group or two?

  \lx епті

  \ps adj

  \sn 1

  \ge skillful, wise, apt (of trades)

  \sn 2

  \ge skillful, cunning (of social skills)

  \gd anstellig, gewandt, geschickt

  \nt This seems to be one meaning, but I question whether two senses are necessary (KCK)

  Looking forward to your comments with interest.

  Ken Keyes

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor