[Lexicog] sense groupings

Hayim Sheynin hsheynin at GRATZ.EDU
Mon Mar 8 17:59:40 UTC 2004

I agree with Chaz. In this case it would be most appropriate to give example
sentences for both

“senses” and include “usage note” with mention “sometimes has an overtone
‘cunning’.”

Hayim Y. Sheynin

-----Original Message-----
From: Chaz and Helga Mortensen [mailto:chaz_mortensen at sil.org]
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 12:05 PM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] sense groupings

Ken, in my opinion it is the context that is determining the exact meaning.
The basic meaning is the same; in other words, you could gloss this word
with "skillful" in either context. So I for one would not put them as
separate senses.

-Chaz

I have a question about sense groupings. In the following example, my
national colleague and I have a disagreement over whether different
spheres/semantic domains in which a word is used constitute separate sense
groups.  What do you all think about it? Is it one sense group or two?

\lx епті

\ps adj

\sn 1

\ge skillful, wise, apt (of trades)

\sn 2

\ge skillful, cunning (of social skills)

\gd anstellig, gewandt, geschickt

\nt This seems to be one meaning, but I question whether two senses are
necessary (KCK)

Looking forward to your comments with interest.

Ken Keyes

  _____

Yahoo! Groups Links

*   To visit your group on the web, go to:

*   To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

*   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .