[Lexicog] sense groupings

Lou Hohulin lou_hohulin at SIL.ORG
Mon Mar 8 19:04:42 UTC 2004

Ken,

In our Tuwali Ifugao-English dictionary, we have similar problems. I am reasonably sure that my native speaker colleagues would want me to show your example as two senses. What may not truly be 'two' senses in Tuwali Ifugao must often be shown as two senses because the two languages have a different range of application for the TI word and the English equivalent(s). In your example, there is quite a difference between 'wise' as in trades and 'cunning' as in social interaction, and the meaning components of these two English words have different implications than the meaning components comprised in the English equivalent 'skillful'.

There would be a work-around that might be more complicated. The Enlish index could show all of the possible equivalents, and the range of application would then appear in some form in the entry, either in the definition or comments. I am using LinguaLinks, rather than Shoebox, so my 'work-around' might be different than how you would handle it in Shoebox. I frequently put 'range-of-application' type comments in an annotation rather than making the definition complex.

Best,
Lou Hohulin