[Lexicog] lexicographie arabe

lexicography2004 lexicography2004 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 9 21:52:04 UTC 2004

For those of you whose French is rusty, like mine, or who may not read any
French, here is a translation of Dr. Khattab's message, exactly as given by
the on-line BabelFish translator at URL:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr

Some of you may be thoroughly amused by the translation. Others may find it
helpful to get at least the gist of Dr. Khattab's message. In any case, the
on-line translators show the limitations of machine translation, and the
need for much lexicographic input into machine translation.

Wayne Leman
List Facilitator

P.S. Dr. Khattab, thank you for your messages. It is fine to continue to
post them in French. Perhaps those on this list who speak French and English
better than BabelFish can take turns translating your future messages.

Translation:
      answer to questions put by Maxwell the remark of Ken Hill is relevant
and all the information presented by Maxwell on the need for the
morphological knowledge of the speakers Arabic-speaking people is correct. I
leave of with dimensions the old dictionaries, and I will approach the
dict.modernes: - it is the alphabetical order which controls the appearance
of thebasic ones, but it is the morphological knowledge which makes it
possible to find the words derived the entries are dérivationnellement
connected, example: the speaker who did not connait Arabic and who seeks the
word "maktûb" (écrit=writed) will be based on the alphabetical order of the
first letters which constitute the word, namely "mak" or "makt", the result:
he will not find the mot"maktûb" under this address it is in the page which
contains the root or the radical "katab" that one will find "maktûb" like a
derivative of ' kataba "" to write ". therefore, the knowledge of the
morphology of Arabic is essential for the dictionary consultation like Al
MUCJAM Al WASIT "the middle dictionary".Dans this case, only the
intellectuals and the students who are initiated with the Arab system
dérivationnel can consult the dictionaries notice that the population of the
students of the college, the colleges and even of the university do not
consult the Arab dictionaries because this language became easy, not
difficult words in the written speech or oral examination however, there are
modern dictionaries which are only founded on the alphabetical order, it is
for example "the doctionnaire of Abd ANNOUR" personally, I am against the
system of clothes industry of the Arab dictionaries but it is the weight of
the linguistic tradition which carries out the modern linguists to defend
it.