[Lexicog] lexicographie arabe

Peter Kirk peterkirk at QAYA.ORG
Tue Mar 9 23:19:21 UTC 2004

On 09/03/2004 14:09, Hayim Sheynin wrote:

> Cher ad-duktur Khattab,
>
> >> personnellement, je suis contre le système des racines
> dans la confection des dictionnaires arabes mais c'est
> le poids de la tradition linguistique qui mène les
> linguistes modernes à le défendre.<<
>
> The reason that many Arab and Semitic linguists do not
> approve strictly alphabetic order in dictionaries is not
> only because of the long standing tradition. In addition,
> and this has no less weight for judgment, it is because
> the structure of Semitic word (as you yourself indicated
> in your message) dictates this particular arrangement.
>
> Both in Arabic and in Hebrew there were some attempts made
> to alleviate the use of learner's dictionaries for
> unsophisticated audience with an alphabetic arrangement, but
> most important dictionaries [of non-encyclopedic nature] remain
> in the same "nests" order (by roots/usul/shorashim).
> Everybody who learned the grammar of any Semitic language for
> a year or two, is able to use dictionary/kamus/milon.
> Example you demonstrated is one of the easy regular grammatical
> pattern. What are the cases when derived forms from the "weak"
> roots receive an initial alif, ta, or nun. Would you repeat them
> in alphabetical order under alif, ta, nun, ista-, etc. It is much
> more convenient to collect them in one nest. Here their
> interrelation is demonstrated more clearly. Another example:
> presentation of forms of broken plural (Example: nashid (long i) - anashid
> (long a). Would you put anashid as a separate lexeme? or a cross-reference
> entry: pl. of nashid (see nashid)? (or ghani - aghani)
> In addition, the use of a traditionally build dictionary sharpens
> learner's skills and improves his knowledge of grammar.
>
> Dr. Hayim Y. Sheynin
> Gratz College

For biblical Hebrew, the well-known Brown-Driver-Briggs dictionary of
1906 uses the root-based system as described by Dr Khattab ("Orator"?
"Preacher"? - I know only the root). This is rather difficult to use
especially for beginners - more difficult than with Arabic because root
initial N and Y, sometimes also H and L, are often lost completely in
derived forms. Partly for this reason more recent dictionaries have
mostly abandoned the root-based system and use alphabetical order of
derived nouns, adjectives etc - although verbs are generally still
listed by root, not by derived stem (binyan) forms.

--
Peter Kirk
peter at qaya.org (personal)

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511