[Lexicog] sense groupings

Kim Blewett kim_blewett at SIL.ORG
Wed Mar 10 02:22:58 UTC 2004

I'm certainly no expert, but it seems to me that this example could possibly be truly two senses in the native speaker's underlying grid, even though it seems not, to an outsider. Could you test with other speakers of the language?

Kim Blewett
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Kenneth Keyes [mailto:ken_keyes at sil.org]
  Sent: Monday, 8 March 2004 1:03 AM
  To: Lexicographylist at Yahoogroups. Com (E-mail)
  Subject: [Lexicog] sense groupings

  Dear all,

  I have a question about sense groupings. In the following example, my national colleague and I have a disagreement over whether different spheres/semantic domains in which a word is used constitute separate sense groups.  What do you all think about it? Is it one sense group or two?

  \lx епті

  \ps adj

  \sn 1

  \ge skillful, wise, apt (of trades)

  \sn 2

  \ge skillful, cunning (of social skills)

  \gd anstellig, gewandt, geschickt

  \nt This seems to be one meaning, but I question whether two senses are necessary (KCK)

  Looking forward to your comments with interest.

  Ken Keyes

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor