[Lexicog] sense groupings

Cami Borza camiborza at YAHOO.COM
Fri Mar 12 12:25:47 UTC 2004

Hi Ken,
I think Kim is right. It can very well be two senses and to be sure it is good to check with the native speakers. I'm helping with dictionaries 9 different languages from DR Congo and I was amazed to see the differences between how I would deal with a word (after they have translated it for me) and how their perspective was...very different.

Besides if you would categorize them according to Semantic Domains they would fall in two very different ones. Not that this would always help determine if different of same senses but would put them in different contexts that gives you different perspectives.

Cami Borza

Kim Blewett <kim_blewett at sil.org> wrote:

@font-face {	font-family: SimSun;}@font-face {	font-family: @SimSun;}@page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin: .5in; mso-footer-margin: .5in; mso-paper-source: 0; }P.MsoNormal {	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-language: ZH-CN; mso-style-parent: ""; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: SimSun}LI.MsoNormal {	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-language: ZH-CN; mso-style-parent: ""; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: SimSun}DIV.MsoNormal {	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-language: ZH-CN; mso-style-parent: ""; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: SimSun}P.MsoAutoSig {	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-language: ZH-CN; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: SimSun}LI.MsoAutoSig {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-language: ZH-CN; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: SimSun}DIV.MsoAutoSig {	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-language: ZH-CN; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: SimSun}SPAN.EmailStyle15 {	COLOR: black; mso-style-type: personal-compose; mso-ansi-font-size: 10.0pt; mso-ascii-font-family: Arial; mso-hansi-font-family: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial}DIV.Section1 {	page: Section1}I'm certainly no expert, but it seems to me that this example could possibly be truly two senses in the native speaker's underlying grid, even though it seems not, to an outsider. Could you test with other speakers of the language?

Kim Blewett
-----Original Message-----
From: Kenneth Keyes [mailto:ken_keyes at sil.org]
Sent: Monday, 8 March 2004 1:03 AM
To: Lexicographylist at Yahoogroups. Com (E-mail)
Subject: [Lexicog] sense groupings

Dear all,

I have a question about sense groupings. In the following example, my national colleague and I have a disagreement over whether different spheres/semantic domains in which a word is used constitute separate sense groups.  What do you all think about it? Is it one sense group or two?

\lx епті

\ps adj

\sn 1

\ge skillful, wise, apt (of trades)

\sn 2

\ge skillful, cunning (of social skills)

\gd anstellig, gewandt, geschickt

\nt This seems to be one meaning, but I question whether two senses are necessary (KCK)

Looking forward to your comments with interest.

Ken Keyes