[Lexicog] Tetrapyloctomy (applied to what was : "Whales: bulls and cows")

Translation MALI translation_mali at SIL.ORG
Sat Mar 13 10:09:44 UTC 2004

The question is also where do we join and where do we split in our
dictionary. At some universities a useful new discipline has been
introduced: Tetrapyloctomy (The science of splitting hairs
four ways)

In cooperation with the centre for experimental submarine zootechnology
at the Technical University of Spitzbergen/Norway the following language
courses can be attended:

Basic Whale Singing
Advanced Whale Singing

Species

   Baleen Whale
   Fin Whale
   White Whale

Regions

   North Atlantic
   Polar
   Coastline and Shore

This is only the undergraduate course. At advanced levels you learn to
split even further (bulls and cows, etc.).

Fritz Goerling

Translation MALI wrote:
> What would you do with "to have a whale of a time" in your dictionary?

Something's fishy here.

All seriousness aside, I would probably list it under 'whale' (with maybe a
cross reference under 'time').  I don't have a clue as to whether it's
dialectal or (semi-)standard, if that's what you were asking.

    Mike Maxwell
    Linguistic Data Consortium
    maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu