[Lexicog] The need for specialized dictionaries (was: animal metaphors)

Translation MALI translation_mali at SIL.ORG
Sun Mar 14 18:00:43 UTC 2004

A friend of mine on this list send me the following excerpt in answer
to my question where the Wall street term "bull market" comes from.
Well, there are even elephants, and bees, and cats in Wall street
parlance.
Does anyone on this list have experience in making a specialized
dictionary? I know of a number of specialized dictionaries (linguistics,
math, medicine) being in preparation in a major West African language.
What I am interested in is what priciples of terminology building
govern such endeavors.

Fritz Goerling

<"When Wall Street experts talk on TV, most of the people don't know what
<they are talking about," said "Wall Street Words" author David L. Scott,
<whose book provides definitions of nearly 4,000 financial terms.
<
<
<

<Many people are familiar with terms like "bull" -- someone who's optimistic
<about where the market is going --and "bear" -- a person who takes a
<pessimistic attitude.

<But there are more animals in Wall Street parlance. Elephants are
<institutional investors like mutual funds or pension funds. A killer bee is
<an investment banker who helps a company repel a hostile takeover, and a
<dead cat bounce is a short and moderate rise in a stock after a very
<steep fall.