[Lexicog] Criteria for example sentences

Jonathan Amith jonathan.amith at YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 15 21:35:52 UTC 2004

Dear All,

I am working on a dictionary of Nahuatl (just back from the field) and
have run into various problems concerning example sentences and their
use in teaching.

Instead of "a dog barks" consider "a cow moos". Here the problem might
be: what sense of cow is intended. Certainly bovine cows moo, but do
female whales? So, when a term is used in an example sentence the user
is still left wondering what sense (if multiple senses are available)
of the term is meant?

I remember reading (the citations are now out of sight and mind) about
the difficulties of second language learners with users dictionaries
and, particularly, with example sentences. One problem is that example
sentences themselves might give a potential collocation or subject,
but without adequate knowledge a user does not know "why" the subject,
for instance, is appropriate. Thus in "a cow moos" is "cow"
appropriate because it is a bovine in general (use of cow for male and
female bovines), a female bovine, a female animal whose male partner
is a bull, etc.?

One solution I have tried is to create a field for "subjects of
predicates." Thus "itchy" might have "wool". "Moo" might have "cow,
bull." This too creates its own problems, but is useful to the extent
that it gives common collocations without the necessity of an example
sentence.

The other solution is simply an extended semantic discussion that
focuses on potential misunderstandings that readers might have.

Jonathan Amith

Jonathan D. Amith
Dept. of Sociology and Anthropology
Gettysburg College