[Lexicog] Criteria for example sentences

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Mon Mar 15 22:30:05 UTC 2004

Listing collocates works if there aren't too many. But for general words you
might want to consider looking for prototypical examples. Even though 'bark'
is not very general, it is still subject to prototype effects:

bark v. (of a dog) to make a quick, loud cry. Used of dogs and other animals
with a cry like a dog's, such as a seal or cheetah.

In other words 'bark' is not a general animal cry. It is the cry of a dog,
extended to the cries of animals that sound like the bark of a dog.
Yesterday I was telling a story about seeing a cheetah kill a gazelle and
barking to call her cubs to the kill. I described the cry of the cheetah as
a 'bark'. I think I said something like, "The cheetah started to bark. A
cheetah's cry isn't like other cats. It's more like the bark of a dog." The
notion of prototypes is very useful in dealing with categories of all sorts.
If we want our example sentences to be most useful, they should exemplify
typical usage. So the collocates used in the sentence should be
prototypical, rather than marginal. So I would prefer "an itchy sore" to "an
itchy wool sweater"; "cows moo", but "bulls bellow".

Ron Moe
SIL Uganda