[Lexicog] Criteria for example sentences

Translation MALI translation_mali at SIL.ORG
Tue Mar 16 15:22:03 UTC 2004

Thanks, Ron, for these good examples.

Some metaphorical extensions or secondary meanings move somewhat away
from a typical dog's barking, like a "barking cough". "An officer
barking an order" gives me the idea of a short, authoritative, aggressive
command.
Could a prototypical meaning of "to bark" be that a creature (dog or man)
asserts his authority or gives a warning that his (or his master's)
territory is threatened?
Other verbs from threatening dog behavior can be applied to humans:
to snarl at; snap at; to bare one's teeth.

Talking about prototypes, what is a prototypical dog?

Fritz Goerling
SIL, Mali

Ron Moe wrote:

Again, the prototypical use of 'bark' is of a dog uttering a short loud cry
because something is wrong, prototypically because a stranger (or animal) is
near. Dogs make other sounds. They growl when they are warning someone that
they are about to attack. They whine when they are unhappy. They whimper
when they are hurt. They howl at the moon. When we say "He is barking up the
wrong tree," we mean he is talking about a problem, but is wrong about where
the problem lies. Dogs chase cats up trees and bark up at them. But the cat
may jump into another tree. The dog may be too stupid to notice and continue
barking up the wrong tree. When a policeman barks an order, he gives a short
loud command to someone in order to deal with a problem. When we say of
someone, "His bark is worse than his bite," we mean he may talk like he is
angry, but he is unlikely to do anything to hurt you, so you shouldn't be
frightened of him. Some dogs bark but don't bite. But we are often
frightened when they bark. I have no idea what dogs really think when they
bark, but I imagine my dog is saying, "Hey, something's wrong. There's a
stranger at the door. You'd better come do something about it." All of these
reflect our cultural perception of dogs and why they bark.

These examples not only illustrate prototypical usage, but also metaphorical
extension, and the creation of secondary meanings. The way we order our
senses and write our definitions should reflect this type of analysis.

<
<
Ron Moe
SIL, Uganda