[Lexicog] Criteria for example sentences

Koontz John E john.koontz at COLORADO.EDU
Tue Mar 16 17:13:04 UTC 2004

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Translation MALI wrote:
> As we talked about "bulls and cows", too, the verbs used in other
> European languages are interesting to me ...

I can't resist pointing out that not all languages go overboard in this
direction.  Many Siouan languages make do with a single verb which one
might gloss 'to make its characteristic noise' in he abstract, though in
context, 'moo', 'bark', 'chirp', 'go off (of a gun)', etc., would be
appropriate.  This is not to say that the Siouan languages lack
onomatopoeic forms or do not make metaphorical extensions.  Just not in
this particular niche.