[Lexicog] Criteria for example sentences

Benjamin Barrett bjb5 at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Tue Mar 16 17:24:54 UTC 2004

This is true in Japanese as well. Even though Japanese has hundreds or even
thousands of onomatopoeic expressions, there is one verb used to mean "make
a sound" for animals 'naku' (also meaning 'to cry' for humans). This is even
used for cicadas, even though their sound isn't made with the mouth.

In addition to this verb, there are a few verbs such as chirp (of a small
bird) 'saegiru', bark 'hoeru', and growl 'unaru', as well as many
onomatopoeic words for animal sounds.

Benjamin Barrett

-----Original Message-----
From: Koontz John E [mailto:john.koontz at colorado.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, 16 March 2004 9:13 AM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Lexicog] Criteria for example sentences

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Translation MALI wrote:
> As we talked about "bulls and cows", too, the verbs used in other
> European languages are interesting to me ...

I can't resist pointing out that not all languages go overboard in this
direction.  Many Siouan languages make do with a single verb which one
might gloss 'to make its characteristic noise' in he abstract, though in
context, 'moo', 'bark', 'chirp', 'go off (of a gun)', etc., would be
appropriate.  This is not to say that the Siouan languages lack
onomatopoeic forms or do not make metaphorical extensions.  Just not in
this particular niche.