[Lexicog] Criteria for example sentences

Translation MALI translation_mali at SIL.ORG
Tue Mar 16 19:26:19 UTC 2004

If you can start the day without caffeine or pep pills,
If you can be cheerful, ignoring aches and pains,
If you can resist complaining and boring people with your troubles,
If you can eat the same food everyday and be grateful for it,
If you can understand when loved ones are too busy to give you time,
If you can overlook when people take things out on you when,
    through no fault of yours, something goes wrong,
If you can take criticism and blame without resentment,
If you can face the world without lies and deceit,
If you can conquer tension without medical help,
If you can sleep without the aid of drugs,
If you can do all these things,

Scroll down.

Then you are probably the family dog.

Wayne Leman wrote:

Good question, Fritz. I suspect that the prototypical dog will vary somewhat
depending on an individual's personal lexicon, but I do think there is quite
a bit of agreement among humans as to what a prototypical dog is.

I suggest that what it is not are:

dachshunds
poodles
chihuahuas
Great Danes
St. Bernards
Newfoundland breed
Dalmatians

I think a prototypical dog is somewhere between a cocker spaniel and a
collie and a golden retriver. It is a medium sized dog, not too small (a
cocker spaniel is a bit too small for the prototype, I think), and not too
large. It needs to have a "standard" dog shape and features.

Wayne Leman

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/HKE4lB/TM