[Lexicog] Criteria for example sentences

Mike_Cahill at SIL.ORG Mike_Cahill at SIL.ORG
Tue Mar 16 19:29:31 UTC 2004

I think we had prototypical dogs in our village in northern Ghana. They fit
Wayne's description perfectly. I always thought of them as generic dogs...

Mike Cahill

Good question, Fritz. I suspect that the prototypical dog will vary
somewhat
depending on an individual's personal lexicon, but I do think there is
quite
a bit of agreement among humans as to what a prototypical dog is.

I suggest that what it is not are:

dachshunds
poodles
chihuahuas
Great Danes
St. Bernards
Newfoundland breed
Dalmatians

I think a prototypical dog is somewhere between a cocker spaniel and a
collie and a golden retriver. It is a medium sized dog, not too small (a
cocker spaniel is a bit too small for the prototype, I think), and not too
large. It needs to have a "standard" dog shape and features.

Wayne Leman